Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Wykoff home lost in fire

WYKOFF — A Wykoff family lost their home Tuesday to an early-morning fire.

The family's dog woke up a slumbering woman just before 7 a.m., allowing her to get outside before the blaze really got going. However, the dog ended up going back inside — "It got scared," according to Wykoff fire chief Wade Baker — and wasn't able to be saved.

Justin Schmidt, the homeowner, wasn't home at the time when the fire started; he works the overnight shift.

Baker and his crew arrived at the scene within minutes, along with the Spring Valley Fire Department, and spent about an hour putting the fire out. However, the house was still deemed a total loss, Baker said.

The investigation is ongoing, but Baker says the fire is believed to have started near the utility room. It's unclear what caused it.

What To Read Next
Get Local