Letter: Rochester Area Foundation's new home provided with support of community
The Rochester Area Foundation was founded in 1944 by Harry Harwick, a Mayo Clinic administrator with a starting grant of $3,500. Since then, the foundation has given an average of more than $1 million each year to area nonprofits and causes through various endowments and funds while serving the mission of "Better Communities for All."
The ribbon-cutting event at our new building was a significant milestone in our history. For the first time in 70 years, our foundation has a permanent home on the corner of Elton Hills Drive and Broadway. The building isn't just for the foundation; it provides affordable community meeting space, nonprofit incubator space and resources for new and emerging nonprofits. It functions as a tool to better assist our communities.
None of this would be possible without the generous support of so many individuals, businesses and nonprofits in the community. It truly takes a village to complete an effort like this, and community outpouring of support demonstrates residents are part of a fantastic village.
We, along with our fellow board members and the foundation staff, appreciate the residents of the greater Rochester area. Generations of Rochester area residents will be appreciative for giving their community foundation a permanent home.
Rochester Area Foundation board chairwoman
Rochester Area Foundation board vice chairman