SECTION 1AA QUARTERFINALS
• Gio Castillo scored a pair of goals as No. 4 Mayo blanked No. 5 New Prague 4-0.
• Century's Xander Galardy scored a goal in the second of two overtimes as No. 3 seed Century beat No. 6 Lakeville South. Noah Oachs had the Panthers' other goal. Century also got a huge save in the second half from goalie Charlie Odell.
SECTION 1A QUARTERFINALS
• Liam Schick, Zach Ellavsky, Garett Johnson and Cam Schmit each scored a goal and Ryan Anderson and Caleb Koza combined to make seven saves as No. 3 Byron shutout No. 6 Plainview-Elgin-Millville 4-0.
• Drew Christopherson scored two goals and Jason Ryan needed to make just one save for the shutout as No. 5 Pine Island-Zumbrota/Mazeppa beat No. 13 Caledonia 3-0.
• No. 2 Dover-Eyota improved to 13-0 with a 2-0 victory over No. 10 Lake City. Tyler Johnson had two goals while Landon Demuth dished one assist. Anthony Swenson picked up yet another shutout.
SECTION 1AA QUARTERFINALS
• Addie Clarey and Mckenna Baker both scored but No. 1 Century was upset 3-2 by No. 8 Lakeville South.
• Ezra Oien scored two goals in the second half as No. 2 Owatonna rallied past No. 7 John Marshall 2-1.. Jordan Clark finished with eight saves in goal for JM.
• Nolan Jurgenson scored four rushing touchdowns and the Rochester Lourdes defense limited Zumbrota-Mazeppa to 180 total yards in a 42-0 shutout at Z-M on Thursday. Four Lourdes players rushed for 50 or more yards: Abe Gapinski (83 yards, 1 TD), Seth Haight (66), Jurgenson (62) and Graham Hopkins (50). Seth Wieneke also ran for a TD and Julio Roman was 6-for-6 on point-after-TD kicks for No. 3-ranked Lourdes (2-0). Z-M (0-2) was led by Tre Hamilton, who ran for 77 yards on 18 carries. Lourdes will face Cannon Falls, the team tied with it at No. 3 in the Class AAA state rankings on Friday, Oct. 23. Z-M plays at Chatfield in Week 3.
• Kammry Broadwater and Maddie Krage had 11 kills each and Lauren Mensink had 32 set assists and 14 digs as Fillmore Central swept Plainview-Elgin-Millville 3-0.
• Bailey Johnson had 17 kills and 4.5 blocks, Kelsey Mensink had 13 kills and 21 digs and Larissa Goslee had 30 set assists and 21 digs in Southland's 3-2 loss to Randolph.
• Haeven Skjervem delivered 12 kills, Jenna Jacobsen added 10 kills and Maryx Young had 27 set assists and 22 digs as Hayfield beat Maple River 3-1.
• Grace Bany had 10 kills, Ava Brunn had 25 digs and Natalie Bremer had 17 set assists as Lake City swept Triton 3-0.
• Laurie Dessner (14 kills, 8.5 blocks) and Makenzie Mentick (14 kills, 12 digs, 2 aces) had huge performances to help Dover-Eyota rally from a 2-0 hole and stun St. Charles in five sets. St. Charles got 14 kills, 23 digs and three aces from Lindsey Root.
• Stewartville superstar Erin Lamb racked up 19 kills, seven digs, two blocks and one ace as Stewartville outlasted third-ranked Concordia Academy 3-0. Jolie Stecher was terrific with nine kills, 12 digs, two blocks and an ace.
• Double-doubles from Claire Buttell (16 assists, 10 digs) and Dana Augedahl (11 kills, 11 digs) sparked Caledonia (1-1) to a 3-2 win over Lewiston-Altura.
GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY
• Farmington had the two top finishers in the event and four of the top 10 and the Tigers finished with 30 points to win the Section 1AA team title for the third straight year. Lakeville South was the runner-up for the second straight year with 48 points. Farmington senior Anna Fenske also defended her individual title with a winning time of 17:35.1. Century senior Caitlin McWilliams would have been a state qualifier (no state meet this year) as placed 12th overall in 19:23.9 and she helped the Panthers place third in the team standings.
BOYS CROSS COUNTRY
• Another year, another Section 1A crown for Lake City. After settling for a runner-up finish last year, Lake City's Reese Anderson wasn't going to let Lourdes' Kevin Turlington beat him again. Anderson (16:30.9) outlasted Turlington down the stretch and edged his rival by 10 seconds. Five Lake City runners finished inside the top-19. Joe Kozlowski (ninth), Andrew Muenzbauer (15th), Luke Skifton (18th) and Eric Anderson (19th) were big-time performers. Lewiston-Altura/Rushford-Peterson's Luke O'Hare was the Section 1A individual champion last year, and even though he completed the course in the exact same amount of time (16:48), he settled for fourth. Tyler Rislov placed third and Andrew Hoiness took home fifth place as Lewiston-Altura/Rushford-Peterson placed second as a team. Turlington's outstanding, second-place performance anchored the Lourdes' lineup. Nathan Renier also was terrific, placing 11th to help the Eagles finish third. Sadly, there's no state meet in 2020, but if there was, Schaeffer Academy's Luke Bothun would've qualified. He blitzed the field and finished sixth with a great time of 17:15.8.
• Century senior Seth Hill blitzed the course to the tune of a 16:24.07 time and edged Farmington's Robbie Spain by just over two seconds for the individual title. Century got great showings from Jason Dong (10th), Silas Green (13th), Aiden Austin (15th), Josh Brunholzl (18th) and Ryan Horton (20th), but Lakeville South barely defeated the Panthers for the team crown. Mayo's Lance Pfrimmer was the top Spartan finisher, placing ninth with a time of 16:48.12. If there had been a state meet, Pfrimmer would've qualified. Mayo placed sixth as a team. Winona took ninth as a team thanks to an 11th-place finish by Cody Peterson. Rochester John Marshall took 14th out of the 16-team competition.