Girls golf: Fillmore Central wins second consecutive section title
Grace Miller and the Fillmore Central girls golf team are no strangers to Pebble Creek Golf Course. And they are ecstatic to be making a return trip to the course in Becker, the site of the Class A state meet.
Grace Miller and the Fillmore Central girls golf team are no strangers to Pebble Creek Golf Course.
And they are ecstatic to be making a return trip to the course in Becker, the site of the Class A state meet.
Miller, who placed sixth at state a year ago, captured Section One, Class A medalist honors and led the Falcons to a third consecutive section team championship on Tuesday at Willow Creek Golf Course.
Miller fired a two-round total of 156 at Willow Creek, which gave her a six-shot victory over runner-up Taylor Christianson of Blooming Prairie. Miller's low score also paced the Falcons to a two-round total of 688 and a 27-shot victory over runner-up Caledonia.
Lewiston-Altura placed third (877) and Lanesboro was fourth (939).
Fillmore Central had all four of its scorers finish in the top 10 at the section meet. In addition to Miller, Madison Scheevel placed third (168), Elayne Kiehne was sixth (181) and Laura Donney finished 10th (190).
Blooming Prairie's Christianson is one of five golfers to qualify for the Class A state meet as an individual. She will be joined at state by three Caledonia golfers — Rebeckah Schroeder placed fourth (170), Ashley Gavin finished fifth (177) and Katrina Paulson tied for sixth (181). Wabasha-Kellogg's Natalie Schmidt also qualified for state by placing eighth (183).
Fillmore Central will have its sights set high after a runner-up finish at state a year ago. The Falcons finished the two-day meet last spring with a total of 701, 22 shots behind state champion Legacy Christian Academy. Miller (6th), Scheevel (15th) and Donney (27th) all played well last year and Kiehne, a junior, has helped fill the void left by Katie Tammel's graduation. Tammel placed 21st at state last year.
This year's state meet is scheduled for June 14-15 at Pebble Creek.
1. Fillmore Central 347-341—688, 2. Caledonia 366-349—715, 3. Lewiston-Altura 438-439—877, 4. Lanesboro 488-451—939.
1. Grace Miller (FC) 78-78—156, *2. Taylor Christianson (Blooming Prairie) 81-81—162, 3. Madison Scheevel (FC) 82-86—168, *4. Rebeckah Schroeder (Cal) 80-90—170, *5. Ashley Gavin (Cal) 86-91—177, 6. Elayne Kiehne (FC) 91-90—181, *7. Katrina Paulson (Cal) 89-92—181, *8. Natalie Schmidt (WK) 94-89—183, 9. Claudia Melde (Cal) 94-93—187, 10. Laura Donney (FC) 90-100—190,
11. Brettney Starks (LA) 98-94—192, 12. Cailey Rindels (FC) 103-93—196, 13. Brianna Kelly (LA) 93-104—197, 14. Kelly Jerviss (Houston) 95-107—202, 15. Taylor Rabehl (W-K) 100-104—204, 16. Tayah Barnes (FC) 107-98—205, 17t. Hope Knepper (Lanesboro) 99-114—213, 17t. Jessica Ressler (BP) 106-107—213, 19. Payton Putrah (Faribault BA) 99-118—217, 20. Holly McElmury (LA) 113-116—229,
21. Madeline Synder (Lane) 116-115—231, 22. Jenna Eversman (WK) 119-117—236, 23. Jenna Wiebke (Cal) 119-120—239, 24t. Sierra Olinger (Cal) 121-126—247, 24t. Brena Winfield (GMLO) 120-127—247, 26. Payton Benson (Lane) 123-125—248, 27. Janell Boyum (Lane) 113-139—252, 28. Hannah Bergene (Southland) 133-127—260, 29. Laura Bottema (Sthld) 134-135—269, 30. Erin Hanson (Sthld) 138-139—277,
31. Kyle Poshusta (Sthld) 156-130—286, 32. Mahai Kamneh (LA) 163-124—287, 33. Alexis Agin (LA) 135-156—291, 34. Aspen Halbakken (LA) 148-149—297, 35. Brynn Schultz (H) 180-133—313, 36. Madelyn Haugen (Lane) 180-134—314, 37. Madysen Wagner (Lane) 180-138—318, 38. Lilli Carlson (H) 180-148—328.
* — state meet individual qualifiers