HIGH SCHOOL VOLLEYBALL • HIAWATHA VALLEY LEAGUE
Final score: Kasson-Mantorville def. Kenyon-Wanamingo 25-18, 25-11, 25-20
Records, rankings: Kasson-Mantorville 7-2, Kenyon-Wanamingo 3-1. K-M is ranked fifth in Class AA, K-W second in Class A.
What it means: It looks like Kasson-Mantorville is the second best team in the Hiawatha Valley League, after No. 2-ranked Stewartville. The defending HVL and section champion KoMets lost a bunch to graduation, but their front line is still a handful.
Game notes: Kenyon-Wanamingo got off to a great start. It led K-M 8-3 in Game 1 following an Ally Peterson kill. But it never got in a great flow after that including really struggling in Game 2. K-M star middle blocker Mya Suess played like a star. That included her banging one massive kill in Game 3 that had the crowd roaring. . .K-M coach Adam VanOort was thrilled with his teams serving, which continually left K-W out of system and unable to comfortably set to its stars.
Up next: Kasson-Mantorville is at Pine Island on Thursday. Kenyon-Wanamingo is at Zumbrota-Mazeppa on Thursday.
• The KoMets got superb play in the front and the back. Their serving was particularly strong, led by Maddie Converse with five aces. K-M also got a big match from Mya Suess. The junior middle blocker had eight kills and five blocks.
• Mya Suess, Kasson-Mantorivlle: 8 kills 5 blocks.
* Maddie Converse, K-M: 23 assists, 5 aces
* Madison Cummings, K-M: 5 blocks
* Megan Mattson, Kenyon-Wanamingo: 4 kills, 12 digs.