Mayo's Barkey leads city swimmers at state prelims
MINNEAPOLIS — Rochester Mayo freshman Kallyn Barkey had a first-place and a second-place finish in the preliminaries of the Minnesota Girls Class AA Swimming and Diving Championships Friday at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center.
Barkey was the top finisher in the 200 free in a time of 1:51.05, and she was second in the 500 free in 4:58.43, 1 1/2 seconds behind the pace of Eden Prairie sophomore Kira Zubar.
The top eight finishers in the preliminaries qualify for the championship finals today, and the 9-16 finishers compete in the consolation finals.
• John Marshall junior Allison Schumacher finished second in the 100 butterfly (57.10), and she also qualified for the finals in the 50 free with a third-place finish (23.75), within a half-second of the top finisher.
• JM sophomore Taylor Bass qualified for the finals in two events, with a fourth in the 200 individual medley (2:06.76) and fourth in the 100 backstroke (57.65).
• Mayo freshman Olivia Cook is also in two finals; she finished third in the 100 butterfly (57.11) just a split-second behind JM's Schumacher, and eighth in the 100 back (58.71).
• Mayo has three relay teams in the finals; the 200 free team qualified second (1:36.85), the 400 free team qualified sixth (51.46), and the 200 medley team qualified eighth (1:49.74). Freshmen Hannah Baratz and Michelle Campeau swim on all three teams.
• JM will have two relay teams in the finals; the 200 free team qualified fifth (1:38.48), and the 200 medley team qualified seventh (1:49.48). Schumacher, junior Lauren Kalwasinski and sophomore Taylor Emery swim on both teams.
• Century's Andrianna Jacobs finished 21st in the 1-meter diving preliminaries on Thursday and just missed advancing to the semifinals. The eighth-grader scored 146.30 points in the five-dive prelimary round. The top 20 girls advanced to the semifinals.