Pacelli Hall of Fame inductees announced
An induction ceremony for the Austin Pacelli High School Hall of Fame will be held on June 17.
This event is held annually in conjunction with the Pacelli Golf Day, an annual fundraiser sponsored by the Pacelli Booster Club. Eight new members will be inducted into the hall of fame.
• Dick Cotter,was the from the Class of 1946, and was a member of the Minnesota Catholic Conference co-champions in football that season. Cotter went on to receive a full ride scholarship to the University of Notre Dame, where he was a team captain.
• Gene Leif, who graduated in 1949, was a four-year starter in football where he was twice named all-conference and was also all-state honorable mention in his senior season. He was a three-year starter in basketball, three times named all-conference, and was an All Tournament Player on the State Tournament team of 1949.
Leif was also a starter for the baseball team and went to state in 1949. In his junior year, he had a .480 batting average. He went on to play all three sports at Loras College in Iowa. Later, he was a registered MSHSL official for baseball, football, and basketball for 30 years.
• Patty Lundberg, from the Class of 1981, was a standout player in tennis and basketball. She was named all-conference four times and played on a trio of state tournament teams. In tennis, Lundberg qualified for the State Tournament as a member of a doubles team in 1980.
• Therese Parlin, from the Class of 1974, ran track and cross country, plus played basketball. Parlin was the state champ in the low hurdles for 1974 and also a member of the state champion 440
and 880 relay teams. She was the starting point guard on the first Pacelli girls basketball team in 72-73 and a member of the first Pacelli girls cross-country team in 1973.
• Conrad Ray, who graduated in the 1993, played football and hockey for the Austin/Austin Pacelli teams. He was a three-year starter on the Austin Packers football team. Ray is best remembered for being a key player on the 1993 state tournament team for the Austin/Austin Pacelli hockey team.
Ray was also a two-time state qualifier in golf and was all-state in 1993. He was all-conference in football, hockey, and golf during his high school days. Ray later was on Stanford University golf team with Tiger Woods and for the last seven years has been the coach of that team.
Larry Scheid, from the Class of 1959, was a standout in baseball and basketball. He was a starter on the 1958 state championship team, and also named to the All-Tournament Team that season. Scheid was a four-year letterman in baseball and later played at Austin Junior College and Mankato State University.
• Father John Tighewas the principal of Pacelli High School from 1959-1970. He was ordained in 1956 by Bishop Fitzgerald and later assigned to Queen of Angels Parish and Pacelli H.S. in 1959.
• Jerry Woleskywas a coach at Pacelli from 1972-1983. He was the head football coach from 1974-1983 and his teams were three times champs of the old Central Catholic Conference. His football team was the State Class B runner-up in 1980.
Wolesky also coach the boys golf team from 1972-1978, compiling an overall record of 108-9 during that time. His team finished third for Class A Boys Golf in 1978. He also started the Pacelli girls golf team in 1975.