High school highlights for Friday, Dec. 2, 2022
Top performances for area high school players.
• Hunter Lorenson scored a career-high 28 points, 19 of which came in the second half as Lake City defeated Plainview-Elgin-Millville 76-57 in the season opener in a game between two teams that figure to be Section 1AA contenders. P-E-M led 31-22 before Lake City closed the first half with a 12-0 run and then outscored the Bulldogs 42-26 in the second half. Keegan Ryan added 15 points and eight rebounds for Lake City. Kaiden Peters led P-E-M with 20 points and Aeron Stevens added 15.
• Zander Jacobson had 20 points and a whopping 23 rebounds and Ethan Pack added 13 points as two-time defending Class A state champion Hayfield opened with a 48-32 comeback win over Martin County West in a battle of state-ranked teams. Hayfield trailed 16-12 at the half before starting the second half with a 14-0 run. Martin County West is ranked No. 9 in Class A and Hayfield is No. 1 in Class A.
• Tegan Malone scored 20 points while Henry Tschetter had 15 points and six rebounds as Stewartville overwhelmed Faribault 73-27.
• Blake Schlitz tallied 21 points and pulled down16 rebounds while Nick Bauer added 12 points as Pine Island opened with an 80-55 victory over Dover-Eyota.
• Mason Apse hit four 3-pointers and tallied 18 points while Owen Maloney added 16 points as St. Charles opened its season with a nice 69-47 win over Blooming Prairie. Cooper Cooke led the Blossoms with 11 points.
• Kayden Rodrick netted 18 points to lead Zumbrota-Mazeppa past Triton 66-40. Jayce Leonardo paced Triton with 15 points.
• Camden Hungerholt made five 3-pointers and poured in 33 points but it wasn't enough as LeRoy-Ostrander dropped its season opener 81-56 to Alden-Conger.
• Cole Kreidermacher, Jace Ferguson and Owen Sommer all scored 11 points as Lewiston-Altura opened with a 58-46 victory over Southland. Cale Wehrenberg tallied 16 points and nine rebounds for Southland.
• Alex Lee scored 22 points and Kenyon-Wanamingo blew past Winona Cotter 55-36.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Allem Agwa knocked down a pair of triples on her way to a game-best 21 points to help Austin defeat John Marshall 53-48. Agwa was one of three Packers in double figures as Cassidy Shute made four 3's en route to 13 points, while Olivia Walsh chipped in 11. Sarah Mullenbach led the Rockets with 20 points, hitting three 3-pointers.
HIAWATHA VALLEY LEAGUE
• Kendra Harvey was the only one to finish with more than 11 points, scoring a game-best 22 in Byron’s 65-46 win over Lake City. Makana Schroeder was the only other player in double figures, chipping in 10 points for the Bears in a defensive battle.
THREE RIVERS CONFERENCE
• Abigail O’Reilly poured in 29 points and Alyvia Engler added 16 as Plainview-Elgin-Millville toppled Wabasha-Kellogg 81-22.
• Caledonia used a balanced attack to defeat Winona Cotter, with three finishing in double figures in a 62-24 win. Josie Foster led the way with 15, while Paige Klug added 14 and Ava Privet chipped in 10 for the Warriors.
• Kaylee Ruberg was one of three to finish in double figures, scoring a game-best 16 points in Rushford-Peterson’s 53-43 win over Fillmore Central. Ellie Ekern contributed 11 points as well for the Trojans. Alyssa Britton led the Falcons with 13 points and 7 rebounds.
• Kylie Verthein recorded a double-double 26 points and 12 rebounds, but it was St. Charles and Makadyn Gust that recorded the 57-52 victory. Gust paced the Saints with 16 points.
• Shawntee Snyder finished with a game-best 15 points as Blooming Prairie beat Triton 47-43 in overtime.
• Molly Bills finished with a game-high 16 points, splashing home four 3-pointers as La Crescent-Hokah beat Mabel-Canton 55-19. As a team, the Lancers made 10 3's.
• Kate Friese scored a game-high 20 points as Schaeffer Academy won its opener 51-35 over Twin Cities Academy. Friese also had eight steals as well, while Linnea Ekborn finished with an impressive 20 rebounds to go along with 11 points for the double-double. Lilly Morrisey also recorded a double-double, tallying 10 points and 15 rebounds.
• Katelyn Hauser hit three 3-pointers and scored 15 points and Morgan Phillips had 12 points in Kingsland’s 57-42 win over United Christian Academy.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Carter Nelson made 18 saves to earn his first varsity victory as Century beat Mankato East 5-2 at All Seasons Arena in Mankato. T.J. Gibson and Blake Kanz had a goal and an assist each for the Panthers, and Brody Josselyn had two assists.
• Brett Ludvigsen had a goal and two assists, but Dodge County fell to defending Section 1A champion New Prague 7-4. Gryffon Funke added a goal and an assist for the Wildcats and Jackson Roethler made 41 saves.