High school highlights for Thursday, Dec. 1, 2022
Top performances for area high school players.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Mayo got its season off to a rousing start, blasting Winona 74-32 as it got 23 points from guard Hannah Hanson and 22 from center Ava Miller.
• Taylor Clarey tallied 15 points while Nora Lynch drained a trio of 3-pointers and scored 13 points as Century opened its season with a narro 37-33 road victory over Mankato West.
• Sammi Chandler tallied 24 points and was one of four Wingers in double figures as Red Wing defeated Albert Lea 93-43. Hannah Kosek had 16 points for Red Wing while Sophia Rahn chipped 14 points and seven rebounds.
HIAWATHA VALLEY LEAGUE
• Goodhue showed off its balance and beat Kasson-Mantorville 51-34. The Wildcats had five players with at least seven points led by Tori Miller’s 10.
• Jacey Majerus scored 13 points and Lake City beat Kenyon-Wanamingo 58-25.
• Jordan Runde scored 15 points but nobody else scored more than five points in LeRoy-Ostrander’s 54-25 loss to Faribault Bethlehem Academy.
• Cayden Tollefsrud tallied 26 points and Jordan Larson netted 14 as Mabel-Canton topped Glenville-Emmons 65-51. Marshall Baseman poured in 36 points for G-E.
• Schaeffer Academy led the entire way before Alden-Conger took the lead with 1:35 left in the game and held on to win 61-60. Evan Miller and Levi Ouren both knocked down three 3-pointers and scored 15 for Schaeffer.
• Aiden Johnson notched 16 points and Tyler Johnston added 14 as Cannon Falls toppled Randolph 78-41. Tyson Cooreman led Randolph with 14 points.
• Nick Weick made 28 saves, while Mason Leimbek scored twice as Mayo earned a hard-fought 3-3 tie at Section 1AA rival Hastings. Cohen Ruskell added a goal and an assist for Mayo, while Kody Niederkorn made 37 saves for Hastings, which was outshot 40-31.
• Carter Nelson made 35 saves, but Holy Angels scored a power-play goal with 88 seconds to play to sneak past Century 4-3. T.J. Gibson had a goal and an assist in the loss for the Panthers.
• Cooper Carlson scored five goals and three other La Crescent-Hokah players had three points each as the Lancers rolled to a 10-1 victory against Red Wing. Wyatt Farrell and Ethan Myhre both had two goals and one assist in the win, while Alex Von Arx had three assists.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Cass Arendt scored on a short-handed breakaway two minutes into overtime Thursday night at Graham Arena to give Rochester Mayo its first victory of the season, 4-3 against Mankato West. Arendt had a goal and an assist, as did teammate Layla Rippentrop. Goalie Grace Kober made 15 saves to earn the win.
• Abigail Conners made 22 saves but Century/John Marshall lost at St. Croix Valley Fusion (Wis.) 7-1.
• Winona goalie Aliya Gricius made 49 saves, but Owatonnna came at the Winhawks in waves and beat Winona 8-1. Ezra Oien was her typical force for the Huskies, with four goals and two assists. The University of Vermont commit has 14 goals and 19 points through five games. Avery Engbrecht scored Winona’s goal.
• Amber Roble won the all-around (34.25), vault (9.175) and beam (9.425) to lead Byron past Waseca 133.65-126.2.