High school highlights for Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022
Top performances for area high school players.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Makuei Riek (24 points), KaiRee Gadson (20) and Yaih Marial (18) combined to score 64 points as Mayo topped Northfield 71-62. Soren Richardson paced Northfield with 16 points.
• Jaden Wysocki led a balanced Century attack with 11 points, five rebounds and four assists as the Panthers rallied past John Marshall 52-44. Century trailed 27-19 at the half. Logan Tuckner led JM with 20 points and six rebounds.
HIAWATHA VALLEY LEAGUE
• Kayden Rodrick finished with 15 points and Caden Mercer chipped in 11 as Zumbrota-Mazeppa slipped past Cannon Falls 52-47. Dylan Banks scored 12 points to lead the Bombers.
• Ayden Helder paced a Stewartville offensive attack that saw four finish in double figures with 14 points as the Tigers picked up a big 60-52 win over Kasson-Mantorville. Tegan Malone, Parker Wangen and Miles Hettinger all finished with 11 points for Stewartville. Camden Holecek tallied a game-high 24 points for the KoMets.
• Owen Petersohn scored 21 points, Noah Thomas had 16 and Braxton Munnikhuysen added 15 as Triton defeated Blooming Prairie 68-60. The Blossoms had four players in double digits led by Payton Fristedt with 16 points and Colin Jordison with 15.
• Tanner Olson finished with a game-high 31 points and a rebound shy of the double-double as LeRoy-Ostrander ran away from Glenville-Emmons 77-47. Gavin Sweeny did record the double-double, tallying 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Cardinals.
• Harrison Hanna and Eli Wolff nearly outscored Grand Meadow by themselves, combining for 60 points as Southland toppled Grand Meadow 77-60. Hanna finished with 30, while Wolff scored 29 for the Rebels, who outscored the Superlarks 44-28 in the second half.
• Kaiden Peters was one of four Bulldogs in double as he led the way with 14 points in Plainview-Elgin-Millville's 61-31 win over Pine Island.
• Matthew Gringrich had a huge game with 27 points and 12 rebounds as Schaeffer Academy halted a four-game losing streak with a 64-44 win over Alden-Conger. Ethan VanSchepen chipped in with 16 points for Schaeffer.
• Tysen Grinde tallied 22 points and Elijah Solum collected 21 as Spring Grove got past La Crescent-Hokah 56-41.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Ava Miller was one of three to finish in double figures, leading the Spartans with 16 points as Mayo rolled past Northfield 59-28.
• Hope Dudycha scored 20, while Emma Dudycha finished with 18 in Austin’s 84-25 win against Faribault.
HIAWATHA VALLEY LEAGUE
• Jaci Winchell scored 17 points and Cannon Falls knocked off Zumbrota-Mazeppa 46-43. The Bombers came back after trailing Z-M 26-23 at halftime.
• Byron pulled off an impressive 65-48 win over Lake City as freshman Kendra Harvey scored 24 points with four 3-pointers. Byron led 32-22 at halftime. Lake City was paced by Mya Shones, with 20 points and 12 rebounds. Natalie Bremer was held to eight points, 18 below her average. Lake City is 7-3 in the HVL and 10-4 overall. Byron is 5-3, 8-5.
• Lauren Queensland led the way with 19 points and also collected 10 rebounds to record the double-double as Grand Meadow sprinted past Southland 64-25. McKenna Hendrickson and Kendyl Queensland each scored 14 as well for the Superlarks.
• Kaci Ruen poured in a game-high 26 points, while Brielle Ruen added 15 in Lanesboro's 55-33 victory over Mabel-Canton.
• Katelyn Hauser had 22 points and knocked down five 3-pointers in Kingsland’s 58-41 win over Lyle/Pacelli. The Athletics got 17 points from Alana Rogne.
• Houston slipped past Spring Grove 58-55 in a game that was close throughout. The Hurricanes, now 10-5 overall, were paced by Sydney Torgerson with 19 points. The Lions got 25 points and seven 3-pointers from Addyson McHugh.
• Bobbie Bruns had 13 points and Anna Pauly 10 in Blooming Prairie’s 45-31 win over Triton. Brylee Iverson had 15 for the Cobras.
• Hayfield stretched its perfect record to 16-0 with a crushing 94-44 win over Faribault Bethlehem Academy. Natalie Beaver led the way for the Vikings with 26 points and 11 rebounds. She hit three 3-pointers. Six different Hayfield players scored in double figures.
• Two of the hottest teams in southeastern Minnesota locked up on Tuesday and No. 3-ranked Goodhue came out a 62-57 winner over Caledonia. Joslyn Carlson led the way for the Wildcats with 22 points. Anika Schafer had 19 points. Caledonia got 17 from Ava Privet (five 3-pointers), 13 from Paige Klug and 12 from Alexis Schroeder. Goodhue is 14-1, Caledonia 11-5. The Warriors had been on a seven-game winning streak.
• St. Charles built a 16-point halftime lead and then hung on to beat LeRoy-Ostrander 56-45. Ivy Robert scored 12 points for the Saints. Jordan Runde had 21 for L-O.
• Martin Prieto went 2-0 with a pair of pins as Plainview-Elgin-Millville went 1-1 at the Mayo triangular.