High school highlights for Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022
Top performances for area high school players.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Freshman Caleb Bancroft had 15 points and seven rebounds and Jub Ogak chipped in 12 points as Century defeated Faribault 67-56. It was Century's sixth win in its last seven games.
• Owatonna had four players with at least eight points, led by Evan Dushek's 18, as it beat John Marshall 63-36. Tyler Smith had 13 points for JM.
THREE RIVERS CONFERENCE
• Aeron Stevens had 17 points and six rebounds and Kaiden Peters collected 15 points and seven rebounds as Plainview-Elgin-Millville, ranked No. 3 in the state in Class AA, improved to 24-1 with a narrow 53-48 win over Lewiston-Altura. Collin Bonow had 20 points and seven rebounds for the Cardinals (17-8) and Thomas Menk had 14 points and 12 rebounds.
• Jayce Kiehne scored 16 points while Luke Hellickson and Will Parker added 12 each as Fillmore Central got past Winona Cotter 61-45. Tate Gilbertson led the Ramblers with 12 points.
HIAWATHA VALLEY LEAGUE
• With the game tied at 39, Kasson-Mantorville closed the game with a 13-0 run to defeat Pine Island 52-39. Camden Holecek led the KoMets (15-9) with 14 points. Johnny Bauer led Pine Island (12-13) with 14 points.
• Reid Bielen came off the bench to hit four 3-pointers and score 12 points and Trent DeCook added 11 as Byron edged Zumbrota-Mazeppa 56-50. Kayden Rodrick hit a trio of 3-pointers and had 21 points for Z-M while Carter Christopherson hit four triples and had 14 points.
• Henry Tschetter tallied 17 points while Tegan Malone and Miles Hettinger added 13 each as HVL leader Stewartville rolled past Cannon Falls 81-49. The Tigers (19-6) are now 14-1 in the HVL and a game ahead of Lake City with one game to play.
• Mason Howard canned six 3-pointers and scored 18 points to lead Lanesboro past Schaeffer Academy 50-41. John Prestemon added 14 points for the Burros (15-10, 9-7 SEC), who overcame a 21-17 deficit at the half. Ethan VanSchepen had a double-double for Schaeffer with 18 points and 10 rebounds and Matthew Gingrich just missed with 10 points and nine rebounds.
• Ethan Pack hit four 3-pointers and had 22 points, Isaac Matti hit five triples and had 21 points and 10 rebounds and Easton Fritcher had 16 points and 10 rebounds as Hayfield rallied past Randolph 77-54. Randolph led 27-19 with about five minutes left in the first half, but Hayfield, ranked No. 1 in the state in Class A, responded with a 16-7 run to end the half and then controlled the second half. Clay Nielsen led the Rockets with 16 points and Mason Lorenzen made five threes for 15 points.
BIG NINE CONFERENCE
• Taylor Clarey scored 26 points and buried four 3-pointers as Century romped to a 65-27 win over winless Faribault in Big Nine Conference action.
• Katie Hurt and Lilly Meister each had 12 points and Stacie Mullenbach had 11 as John Marshall beat Owatonna 43-29. It was JM's ninth-straight win
• Mallory Ignaszewski scored 15 points to lead No. 15 Alden-Conger/Glenville-Emmons (7-19) past No. 18 Schaeffer Academy 61-32. Kate Friese had 12 points for Schaeffer (3-24) and Linnea Ekbom had eight points and 18 rebounds.
• No. 17 seed United South Central got 14 points from Hannah Meyer, 13 from Macy Zebro and 11 from Taylor Schroeder in a 54-49 win over No. 16 LeRoy-Ostrander. Sam Vokart had 24 points and five 3-pointers for L-O.
• No. 14 seed Lyle/Pacelli built a 20-point halftime lead against No. 19 Wabasha-Kellogg, then hung on for a 75-54 win. Kirsten Koopal had 22 points for L/P, Alana Rogne had 16 points and hit four 3-pointers, and Avari Drennan had 10 points and 10 rebounds. Ileana de Angel had 18 points for W-K.
• Isaac Dale made 20 saves and Cooper Jacobson scored the game-winning goal and added an assist as Dodge County beat John Marshall 5-1 in a first-round playoff game. Cody Vlasaty made 40 saves for the Rockets, and Adam Hegrenes scored their lone goal.
• Justin Brickner recorded a 25-save shutout as Winona beat Austin 3-0 in a first-round matchup. Teis Larsen had two goals and an assist for the Winhawks. Ethan Knox made 37 saves in defeat for Autin.
• Wyatt Farrell had a hat trick — giving him 47 goals this season — and an assist as La Crescent-Hokah, the No. 6 seed in the section, beat No. 11-seeded Winona Cotter 9-0. Logan Yehle had a 13-save shutout.
• Carson Ahern had a hat trick and Dixon Ehlers notched a 30-save shutout as No. 8 seed Red Wing beat No. 9 Waseca 5-0.