Prochnow wins wild late model feature
SPRING VALLEY — A brief and heavy rain storm did not prevent the races from going on at Deer Creek Speedway on Saturday night.
There was a delay before the start of the feature races, but the card was completed as scheduled.
The 25-lap Wissota late models had a wild main event. The leaders were turning lap times a little less than a half second off the track record, set with an open motored late model three years ago.
But a tough restart after one yellow flag wiped five cars out of the race in one wreck.
After the green flag came out, Jordan Yaggy got turned around and that triggered a six-car pileup. Roger Torgerson's car ended up on top of Nate Beyenhof and the front of Torgerson's car wedged under John Kaanta. Also involved were Kyle Jumbeck and Lucas Peterson. Only Jumbeck would be able to continue and there were only seven of the 16 starters left at that point.
When the race resumed, Mike Prochnow and Lance Matthees had a battle to the wire. Matthees made several charges at Prochnow in an attempt to take the lead. But Prochnow held off the determined Matthees for his second win of the season and he became the first repeat late model winner this year.
Matthees was a close second with Nick Beyenhof third, Jumbeck finished fourth with his damaged car and Jerry Bloom scored another top-five finish.
• The final race of the night was the 25-lap USRA modifieds feature. Three-time defending track champion Jason Cummins has consistently been in the top five this season but had yet to find victory lane. It would be Cummins night when he redrew the pole and decimated the 25-car field and thus ended Brandon Davis' streak at five.
The track's electronic scoring had Cummins turning laps a tenth of a second off the track record. Cummins rocketed away from the pack to score his first win of the season and 26th of his career at Deer Creek.
Mike Sorensen and Lucas Schott had a good race for second in the late stages but Sorensen would hold on to be the runner up.
• Kelly Anderson continued his recent surge in the Wissota super stocks division. He scored his third feature win in a row while Jeff Brauer finished second.
• In the USRA B modified feature, Jacob Bleess rolled to his second feature win of the season with Kylie Kath placing second.
• National point leader Cory Crapser continued his hot season in the Wissota midwest modifieds. He captured his 14th feature victory of the season and his fifth at Deer Creek. Cody Gardner finished a distant second.
• Nick Schwebach captured his first feature win of the season in the Wissota street stocks. Kory Adams placed second in the seven-car event.
• This Friday will be Camper Appreciation Night at the track's campground. Camping is just $10 and there will be music by Heartland Express along with games, food and beverages.
Racing will continue on Saturday with Biker Night at the speedway. Motorcycle enthusiasts are encouraged to have their bike to the track by 4 p.m. and they will receive free admittance to the speedway. The truck country slingshots will get underway at 3 p.m. on the Button Buck Speedway.
The regular racing card beings at 6 p.m. For more information visit www.deercreekspeedway.com.
Deer Creek Speedway
USRA B Modifieds
Jacob Bleess, Kylie Kath, Parker Hale, Shaun Walski, Scott Demmer, Brady Keefe, Trevor Fecht, Erik Kanz, Dean Hoffman, Alan Wagner, Wade Wenzel, Mike Chisholm, Matt Olson, Taylor Ausrud, Ben Moudry, Dan Tenold, Josh Smith, John Warrington.
Heat winners— Kath, Smith, Kanz.
Jason Cummins, Mike Sorensen, Lucas Schott, Brandon Davis, J.J. Wise, Nate Wasmund, Cole Queensland, Kelly Shryock, Joel Alberts, Josh Angst, Bobby Swanson, Jake Timm, Ric Fynbo, Brandon Aggen, Jimmy Broszeit, Don Gerritsen Jr., Greg Jensen, Michael Wytaske, Bill Clemens, Dan Bohr, Brandon Hare, Bob Timm, Kurt Krauskopf, Tony Vaith, Darwyn Karau, Mark Teske.
Heat winners— Sorensen, Davis, Schott, Wasmund.
WISSOTA Late Model
Mike Prochnow, Lance Matthees, Nick Beyenhof, Kyle Jumbeck, Jerry Bloom, Justin Sass, Paul Novotny, Jordan Yaggy, John Kaanta, Nate Beyenhof, Roger Torgerson, Lucas Peterson, Joe Ludemann, Kelly Anderson, Nick Kramer, Neil Eckhart.
Heat winners— Sass, Yaggy.
WISSOTA Midwest Modified
Cory Crapser, Cody Gardner, Bill Stettner, Don Schaefer, Steve Amundson, Jason Born, David Swearingen, Tony Schill, Casey Trom, Harlan Morehart, Jared Boumeester, Mike Mehling.
Heat winners— Crapser, Amundson.
WISSOTA Street Stock
Nick Schwebach, Kory Adams, Troy Voth, Mike Blowers, Bernie Adams, Derek Ludington, Brent Holland.
Heat winner— Voth.
WISSOTA Super Stock
Kelly Anderson, Jeff Brauer, Ryan Siegle, Kevin Hager, Michael Hofer, Schatney Sanders, Shaun Olson, Brian Fetting, Ed Sanders, Dave Solum, Harlan Morehart.
Heat winners— Anderson, Siegle.